Chawalla’s Chana Curry
- 1 cup chick peas (kabuli chana)
- 1 tomato
- 1 green chilli
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- small piece of ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 curry leaves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masals / chana masala powder
- Salt as necessary
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Step 1: if using dried chick peas, soak in water overnight, then boil in a pressure cooker until tender, if using canned, they are ready to use.
- Step 2: Cut the tomato and green chilli. Grind them in a blender, along with ginger and garlic to make a paste.
- Step 3: Heat the oil in a pan with the onions and curry leaves for 30 seconds. Add the paste and fry on a medium heat until golden brown (The oil will start to separate from the mixture).
- Step 4: Add the red chilli powder, turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala and salt. Mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 5: Add enough water to make a thick gravy. Bring to the boil.
- Step 6: Add the cooked chick peas. Stir well and cook over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Step 7: To create a rich texture, let the curry cool then re-heat before serving. (This allows the flavours to blend with the chickpeas and excess water will evaporate).
- Step 8: Serve hot and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.